Steps of the Research Process
1) Identify your topic: Condense your research question into a thesis or problem statement.
2) Create an outline: You will revise this along the way, but an initial outline will help you clarify your research needs.
3) Develop a search strategy: Brainstorm relevant subjects/keywords and where to look for sources.
4) Find and evaluate sources: Search the library catalog and website for scholarly sources.
5) Working with sources: Take notes on the sources you find to better organize and reference your research.
6) Cite your sources: Use the appropriate citation style to credit ideas used in your paper.
How to Identify Search Terms
Follow these steps to begin your research project: