Welcome to the Ellender Library Guide to the Research Process
Use these pages to plan your research project, find scholarly sources, and incorporate them into your assignment. Feel free to contact the Reference Desk or your subject liaison at any point for assistance.
Steps of the Research Process
1) Identify your topic: Condense your research question into a thesis or problem statement.
2) Create an outline: You will revise this along the way, but an initial outline will help you clarify your research needs.
3) Develop a search strategy: Brainstorm relevant subjects/keywords and where to look for sources.
4) Find and evaluate sources: Search the library catalog and website for scholarly sources.
5) Working with sources: Take notes on the sources you find to better organize and reference your research.
6) Cite your sources: Use the appropriate citation style to credit ideas used in your paper.